Hey there everyone! It’s been a while and I am so excited to tell you what I’ve been up to!
Back in June I went to visit Columbia College Chicago, and I FELL IN LOVE! This school felt like home already, the program there seemed amazing, and everyone I talked to loved working there. I went home that night and I knew I needed to attend Columbia. I quickly begain getting everything together I needed to apply. I wanted to apply for the spring semester since it was only 2 months until the fall semester would begin and that wasn’t enough time to save money and get everything togehter. In August the application was finally available to send in. I filled it out, wrote my essay, put together a portfolio, and everything else I needed. I eagerly waited WEEKS AND WEEKS until I finally got an email.
I WAS SO FREAKING HAPPY! I couldn’t believe it, I finally got into a school that was perfect for me. Classes would begin in Januray; I had 2 months to get everything together. Those 2 months went by so fast, and I can’t believe that I’m am now writing this sitting in an apartment in downtown Chicago (South Loop to be more specific) and in my 2nd week of classes.
I LOVE everything about this place, my teachers, my classes, my roommate, my apartment, my new friends, and everything! It’s perfect.
I can’t wait to see how the next few weeks play out, I hope that this school will be amazing and opens up many doors in my future.
Enjoy the Journey
2016 had some ups and some downs, however I would say there were more ups 🙂
- Kaylee and McKenzie turned 2
- I went to a great wedding for my friends Dustin and Christine (really this wedding was so much fun and so them I loved it)
- My parents put an awesome play set in the backyard for the girls
- Went to the Jelly Belly factory with Sam for a Postcrossing meet-up
- Had great time at my sister’s 4th of July party
- Got to see The Plain White Ts with my best friend Sam
- Won a fish at the fair…after a few dead fish I ended up with 3 long living healthy fish
- Went swimming. A lot
- Spent a lot of time taking the girls to the library, they love it
- Kenzie found out about pineapple pizza, she looovveeessss it!
- Helped dad with the Golf Outting
- Purple hair
- Had a remote control car tied to the girls play car and we drove kids around in it
- Spent time with Nicole, Dustin, and their kids
- Craft night burn night
- Co-Stage Manager with Abbey R on The Games Afoot (an amazing show loved the cast)
- Met Luis and Anna
- Played a lot of PS4 and met some great people
- Helped mom with the Quilt Show
- Took the girls on the train and lunch at Toot-Toots in Bartlett
- Went to South Elgin’s pumpkin patch (Kenzie hugged a goat) and fire house open house
- The girls got to ride horses
- Started teaching myself how to play Ukulele
- Got into Columbia College Chicago!!!!!!
- Kristi and Eric are having a baby!!!!!!!!! Coming May 2017!!!!
- My parents hosted Thanksgiving
- Had 2nd Thanksgiving at Shannon and Kyle’s
- Gilmore Girls came back!
- Craft night at Christina’s a few times (this is now a monthly thing)
- Went to monthly Hand and Foot
- Found out I like crafting with clay
- Played outside in the snow with the girls
- The girls had sleepovers at Grandma, Papa, and Aunt Kelsey’s house!
- Had the annual cousin day (Christmas Eve Eve) we went to Red Robin and World Market, this was the first year we let the girls come, AND the boys wanted to come AND we in good moods!!!
- My parents hosted Christmas Eve and Christmas Day
- Grandma June moved in with Uncle Steve
- Painted gingerbread cookie jars with Abbey R
- Went and saw Christmas lights and had dinner and PIE at Bakers Square with Mom, Shannon, and Susie
- New Years Eve game night with Abbey R at Abbey T and Chris’s house
Kelsey’s 2016 New Year’s Resolutions
- Get in Shape / Lose weight –Well….. like most people this was a fail… 2017 here I come!!
- Make New Friends –I met a few new people who I am now friends with! Good job Kelsey!
- Learn to Say “No” and Not Feel Bad About It – I think I have gotten better at this one.
- Get More Sleep –It was going well up until November then stress hit and I haven’t slept well since
- Read More –Nope. This was a fail
- Become Tidier –Yea… I think I have! I feel that I have gotten much better at this!
- Get Out of Debt / Save More –Another Fail
- Volunteer –I really wish I could say I volunteered in 2016… sadly I didn’t, however I did donate a lot of my things!
- Write More –Well…..you see how well the blog is going…….haha!
- Cut Soda / Drink More Water –YES! I do still drink more soda than I should but I have cut it by a lot!
- Go to College –YES!!!!! I start school January 23rd! (more info to come in a later blog!)
- Stop Caring What Others Think –I kinda did this one. It’s hard to not care but I can say now that I care less.
- Walk –Nope. However I know 2017 is going to be a good year for this one.
- Go a Week Without My Phone – Fail.
- Take Vitamins – Fail.
Well. I had some wins and some fails. Overall I think I did okay.
Enjoy the Journey
Goodbye 2016 Welcome 2017
Earlier this week I made the trek to Schamburg to meet my friends Liz and Sam at Starbucks, I was early so I found a spot and did some reading. Sam arrived about 30 minuets later, and we got in line, both of us got our normal “Venti soy chai with peppermint” I get mine with 2 extra pumps of chai. We took one end of a long table trying not to disturb the business men at the other end, and we waited for Liz. Liz finally arrived, she came from work. We ended up sitting there for over 2 hours! It was so nice to get together with them, I don’t get to see them as much as I’d like. We have so much fun and laugh a lot, I’m sure the others around us thought we were a little loud, but oh well!
We got to talking about Sam’s new class shes taking, its Creative Writing. She told us about the prompts her teacher gave them in class the day before and Liz and I ran with it! We expanded on some of the stories and discussed what we would have written. All this led to us creating a Facebook page for the 3 of us, each week Sam will give us the prompts she got in class and we will then each have the rest of that week to write and post our writing on each prompt. This gave me another idea!
Each prompt is meant to be short, but I am going to expand on them and hopefully start some short stories, I then will post them here. I am really looking forward to this, I love writing prompts, it helps with the inspiration. Make sure to keep an eye out for the coming prompts, I would love to see what everyone else gets inspired to write!
Enjoy the Journey!
Sometimes you just need to pick up a cheese of a book.
A number of months ago I was at the store and picked up a book called Dirty Rush by Taylor Bell. I knew when I bought it that it wouldn’t be a book that everyone was going to talk about, but I knew it would be a fast read; what I didn’t expect is that I would actually really enjoy it. Dirty Rush is about Taylor Bell who is a 5th generation sorority girl, the book opens with her wanting nothing to do with the girls of Beta Zeta but she ends up becoming friends with them and the craziness that comes along with a sorority isn’t too far from true crazy talk. You meet the girl you’ve always wanted to be friends with, the guy you’ve always wanted to date, and everything is going perfect until you piss someone off that you shouldn’t have. (Been there, done that.) Some of these girls are truly horrible people.
I’ve never had any thought of wanting to join a sorority, talk about a headache, college seems hard enough, I don’t need all that drama! But after reading Dirty Rush, I couldn’t help but wonder “what if” it almost seems like fun. This story kept me reading, reading to the point of finishing in two days! And staying up till 1 am to accomplish that task. It’s rare that a story keeps me wanting to stay away that late at night, come on who doesn’t love sleep more than their own family?
My only problem with this book was the amount of times “Cute” was used. There was no real story arc, and the climax was rushed at the very end, there was almost no time to clean things up at the end, I kept looking at how many pages I had left thinking “They didn’t give me all the pages in my copy!” But no, I had all the pages, everything came together, it was just rushed.
If you are looking for a cheesy fast read, maybe on the beach, this is the perfect book to pick up. I’ll give this one 3 out of 5 stars!
Enjoy the Journey!
“A new year a new me.” That seems to be what everyone likes to say on January 1st. Everyone makes resolutions and very few seem to keep them. I have never really made a resolution, but I think this year its time to change that, I am going to make a list and try my very best to keep them, I know myself well enough that I most likely won’t make it to the end, but it’s good to have goals.
Kelsey’s 2016 New Year’s Resolutions
- Get in Shape / Lose weight – I am fat. I need to learn to take care of myself better. I suck at working out and eating well. My plan is to start out working out at least once a week for 30 mins, and as the year goes on add on to that, and each week I am going to cut out another bad food and add a healthy one in its place. “Baby steps” is key on this one.
- Make New Friends – I’ve never had many friends and I’ve always liked it that way, but I think it’s time to expand my friends list and start talking to new people.
- Learn to Say “No” and Not Feel Bad About It – I always feel bad about saying “no” and end up saying “sorry” every time. I need to stop doing that.
- Get More Sleep – Not much needs to be said about this one.
- Read More – I like to read, I just pick TV over a book, I want to read more, so again I’m taking “baby steps” I’m starting a book a month challenge.
- Become Tidier – It’s not hard to keep my room clean, I just need to do it.
- Get Out of Debt / Save More – Christmas this year killed me! After having to pay application fees for colleges and then a few birthdays happened, and THEN Christmas, I have a little debt on my cards to pay off and I need to start putting into my savings again.
- Volunteer – I’ve always liked volunteering, but the times I’ve done it, it’s always fallen into my lap, I need to get out there and find the volunteer hours.
- Write More – nuff said. Am I right?
- Cut Soda / Drink More Water – yea, I think we all can say this.
- Go to College – I went to community college for a while out of high school and HATED IT! I stopped going and didn’t think I would ever go back to school, and now it’s time. I applied in November to a few schools, I just have to wait and find out if I got in. Fingers crossed!
- Stop Caring What Others Think – I always have cared, I don’t want this to be something that follows me. I’ve always had that thought in my head “Do they talk about me when I’m not around?” or “I bet shes just talking to me to be nice” I need to get those thoughts out of my head.
- Walk – Goes back to my #1
- Go a Week Without My Phone – I took a vacation 2 years ago and didn’t have my phone that whole week and it was AMAZING! I am really looking forward to doing this one, I won’t be able to completely leave my phone off because I need it for work but I will ONLY use it for work.
- Take Vitamins – Goes back to my #1… again.
WWWwwwwWWWooooOOOOoooooWWWWwwwwWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am not good at this AT ALL!!!! The last time I wrote was 5 months ago! FIVE MONTHS! I need to do better, I WILL DO BETTER!
Here’s to starting new, here’s to writing more in 2016!
Happy New Year everyone!